Saturday, March 11, 2023

I found Tunnel Six

In the morning of April 23, 2022, I wrote that I got up at 10 and eventually was packed well enough that I was able to go to plank coffee. It turned out that the citrus fair parade was on that day so the high school band and fair trucks were lined up on the boulevard.

I had 2 cups in the morning air and rode to Ace hardware. The streets were OK to navigate – weak street system barriers. The guy who helped me at the hardware store could not open the display. The cashier didn’t get my humor.

I rode to First Street and through the park. Cops had blocked the road for the parade. Geysers Road was quick. I got a photo at sulfur Creek and drank water at the RV park.

I decided to visit tunnels seven and six so rode to Echo Valley and up to the overpass. The objects I had left were still there. I witnessed two cars.

I walked to the freeway bridge and left my bike. I climbed up to the freeway and, from that view point, tried to gauge the topography around Comiskey Creek. A short while later I descended to the bike. I was not prepared for tunnel 7 when I got to it. It was big and open with graffiti. Walking through was easy enough. On the other side I soldiered on preparing my lights for a long walk.

I encountered some downed trees – greenwood – eventually I found tunnel six. The entrance on the northside in front of me was caved in. It was still visible but only barely from the top.

I turned around and militated against myself climbing to the freeway. My thought process was that had I been younger I probably would’ve ventured out of curiosity but experience dictated that I avoid doing that.

The ride to Echo Valley after I passed through tunnels seven and came down from the trestle was fast. I live tweeted the whole thing. I had wanted to explore the 101 to Comiskey but rode to the RV park instead.

I rode back to town quickly and checked back into the Wine Country Inn before heading over to Wolf’s Bar and Grill.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment