Monday, January 4, 2021

Walking to the Waterfall

On January 20 of 2020 I wrote that in the previous morning I woke up at my old classmate’s house and had coffee and pancakes with his family. I was still helping him move furniture. After we unloaded everything we went for pizza in town and saw his younger brother - a doctor - passing through with his girlfriend. Later I decided that they would take me to Sacramento so I could catch a late train home the next day.

That night we played Scrabble and listened to one of the nieces play her violin. Later we in to town with some locals. The doctor told me he used to be a taxi driver and would sit out front of the bar all night. We played pool and darts until 1 AM and met some local color. Some guy from Kentucky told us his life story.

In the morning of the day that I wrote this my host woke me with a text and we had coffee together. I spent the rest of the day with his younger brother. My host left for work and I sat with the doctor and his girlfriend a bit before walking to the waterfall.

He told us stories about being a doctor. We took photos of things he remembered from growing up in the woods. When we got back we said bye to my old classmate and headed out to the city. We got coffee at the station and I said goodbye to them. I got tacos. I noted I would be at home shortly.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment