Thursday, June 15, 2017

Route to Pacific Beach

On May 17 I wrote that the group session had ended the day before at around 445 so I got down to the ferry as fast as possible. I had my bike. It was a taxi which was a surprise. The trip to the convention center was fast and the pilot didn't ask for my ticket. I asked a couple of companions for advice and they said my route to Pacific Beach was probably OK.

I rode to Broadway and got two tickets before checking the map. My phone was nearly dead so I photographed it. Then I headed to the airport.  I ended up following another rider halfway there. He was coming from North as we headed west. The path is really a sidewalk interupted by parking cuts. The bay side was mostly water but occasionally marinas.

The path changed near the Sheraton and then I was alone on the path. I crossed Harbor near Halsey. I took that path through the park to Roosevelt, crossed Rosecrans to Willow and Tennyson. I ended up on Voltaire and road to Ocean Beach.

I parked, put my jacket in my bike and went to Lucy’s. I talked to a local. He worked at the airport for the Navy. He repaired ancient radios for a living. He thought it was ironic. He suggested I go to Mother’s, so I did and got tacos. They were cold. I wasn't impressed. I had a near heart attack when I discovered I had left my key in my jacket. However, it was all right.

I rode to the beach for a photo and then went to Mission Bay. The path took me through crap roads and the OB bridge was not fun. I barely had time to catch the sunset on my phone before it died. I did get a photo but only after the sun went down.

I remembered Mission Beach and Pacific beach from when I visited an acquaintance in La Jolla. When I got to the main drag I went exploring but I knew I was running out of time.  I took Mission past La Jolla Blvd and found a place on Turquoise called Bar Key. Unfortunately, they were not able to charge my phone. Once I had finished my fries I took Baryl to Grand or something and got back to the beach path.

I took the same route over the San Diego River back to Ocean Beach but took Nimitz instead even though it was getting dark. I thought I wouldn't like it but it wasn't bad. The other side was also OK. On Harbor I took the sidewalk and passed the airport and made sure to be very assertive. It worked out and I got passed Broadway after the last ferry. However I went and caught the ferry from the convention center instead.

There was a lady from the conference on the boat but no bikes other than mine. I got into the room fine and spent the next hour winding down. I was asleep at 11.

In the morning of the day that I wrote this I was up at 7:30 and got a meal at the lobby but it didn't seem like the conference was really worth my while so I went back to the room.


This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment