Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Appreciate the Landscape Together

On the morning of my birthday, May 12, I resigned myself to and easy day at work. Afterwards I wrote to a bar and had a couple of drinks.  My roommate I had gone to get pizza.  While we ate, my friend and I got ready and I grabbed the pack of sparkling wine cans before we headed to Civic Center.

She almost lost her hat but it was really easy to board. We found a seat near our bikes and there was a reshuffle at MacArthur. At Richmond I found the guys and we introduce ourselves to a few others. A few of us went to the convenience store and then the ride left. We saw an acquaintance as we headed down McDonald. I didn't agree with her about how revitalize downtown was but at least we could appreciate the landscape together.

We ended up on a really large but low traffic road in the industrial district. I commented on how it really was ideal for riding.  My friend told me about her visit to Richmond. She likely visited twice. We chatted a lot. There were a couple of times when we engaged each other.

There were two music bikes near us as we entered the bay side tunnel. The music bike ahead of us was playing a really good song. The one behind us was mostly bass. When we entered the tunnel the one I had was really loud but as we approach the other side the base bike was more so. I liked the effect.

My phone ended up dying because I had had my camera on. My friend had made sure she had power though.  We rode the waterfront to the bay shore bike path. My friend looked at the signs and I noted a sign on an abandoned building. Later I discovered that it was the Richmond Motorcycle club.

We couldn't make it onto the curb at the bike path so we all had to dismount. The path when away from the road. It then zigzaged near the tracks. It was really cold. The roadside had barrier separating my friend and I near the rails. She almost lost her head again. We ended up at a large landing with warehouses. There was a brewery inside one of the warehouses. At first I was bummed because the ride sponsorship. However, my friend had M&Ms and we drink sparkling wine from cans.

We hung out with the guys and I introduced my friend to them and a few others. I was still pretty critical of the venue but I started to come around to the idea that the ride was all right.  So many close acquaintances had all called off. There were just a few people that I knew. At some point I decided to say goodbye. However, we just follow the group out.

The flag took took us over the tracks and into Richmond. We zigzagged through the neighborhoods until we got to Nevin. It turned out the new entrance to the station was not quite finished. We had been riding with a guy I knew from Pac Heights the whole time and he knew was a little bit. We did some catch-up and when we entered Bart he had disappeared. Some guy in a car with a drink said "where you goin?” He had a gravelly voice that one of the riders made fun of.

We made the platform after our train left and people started arriving. The guy from Pac Heights got in our car and we sat together. When we transferred he gave me a beer. We got off at Civic Center and arrived at the apartment at midnight.
This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment