Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Far Away Rumbles

It is the holiday season and this usually means friends and family. Ironically, I’ve decided to buckle down and get to work. Yeah, there are parties to go to and friends and family passing through town but every time I return to my desk I discover a mess to organize. There are piles of paper and laundry to do. Meanwhile, recent trips out of town have only dented my finances and the fridge has been looking barren as of late.

I’m listening to Flamenco Sketches as I write this. I think it complements the mood perfectly. Quietudes and far away rumbles aren’t too far off from the winds that stir the leaves in the park and distant rain clouds. The whole package is inspiring.

The waning light of the fall and winter always causes me to look inward. There are fewer hours in the day and I tend towards hibernation. I burn the midnight oil and when it gets wet outside I start contemplating my options for the easiest route home. I can tell that many of the people I would typically interact with in sunnier times feel the same.

The holidays are a time for discovery and reflection. A time for old photos I don’t remember taking and high school poetry. I look at the cluttered array of extra of maps and pictures on my walls and start looking for a place amongst the old magazines and knickknacks to store them. Everyday it seems that I find a new set of bike parts that I don’t need, like patched inner tubes and dimming blinky lights. I know I meant to give them away but it isn’t often that I find anyone as willing to ride home in the rain as I am.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment