Friday, October 12, 2012

Secret Worlds

We all have secret worlds. Sometimes, on the way home from work say, we stop at the store or pass through the park. When we get home, our roommates or spouses don’t know where we’ve been and most of the time it doesn’t matter anyway. These moments are personal and irreplaceable.

A secret world doesn’t have to be one that you hide from those around you. It is simply inevitable. I can open up the drawer at my desk and find six packs of gum. Where did they come from? Each pack tells its own story.  They represent numerous trips to random liquor stores or supermarkets. However, none of these stories ever gets told. Even a pile of pens and envelopes holds a truth that only the hand of an expert interrogator can unlock.

I started this blog to make sure that the world at least has a chance to learn about my life and times. I ride my bike a lot; take trains and buses all over the place. I have reasons for doing everything but I don’t always say what those reasons are. I meet a lot of people in the course of a day but they don’t all know each other.

I suppose I can say that I am still young and maybe I will have a chance to talk to the radio host about my greatest hits in my seventies. However, even by that measure I can’t be certain how many years or decades I have to go. I am not even certain who I am let alone what secret truths I need to record for posterity.

Even now I am beginning to segue into new things. I volunteer at the Botanical Garden and go on less bike rides now. I’ve been working for on a local a parking survey lately. Who are these new people and personalities and how do they fit into my world? I can’t say and I won’t know until many years from now maybe. This is the most important element to a secret world. I can never actually know how many stories are locked up in my mind that other people in my life probably aren’t ever going to hear about.

I started writing this on 100712.  This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment