Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Manhattan Tunnels

Today at around 9:30 am I read in the paper that the Manhattan Tunnels were flooded and this got me thinking, "A hurricane hit New York." This seemed a profound notion.

I had been hearing about it for a few days. The Caribbean and Florida were hit by surges and wind. There were dead and displaced. I know what hurricanes do to the American South. There are even stories of hurricanes in Baja California. I had just never heard about this kind of thing in New York.

So, I made a list of people in my mind that lived on the East Coast. It wasn't long of course and I don't think it was especially complete but hell, I thought it would be an interesting experiment to find out what happened to them.

I sent out the same text to each: "How's the weather?" and waited. The first was from my friend Dew in West Virginia, where it probably was snowing. He sent back, "it's beautiful g I heard your team won the big game. Congrats. How's your weather?" To which I replied, "It's damp but work wasn't cancelled. How was the test?" He said, "The test wasn't cancelled the test was like getting kicked in the balls for two hours and after a while you don't care."

My friend Trout, said, "It was hella windy. Shit is pretty fucked up all over the city, but central Brooklyn, where I live didn't have a bad time. We have power and our street is ok. Several old trees in the park across the street fell, which makes me sad." I texted back to her that the Giants had won the World Series and after she said, "Yay Giants! Transportation is the next big problem here. Tunnels are flooded and it might take a week to get the subways back. Maybe it is a good time to bike around the city :)"

My other friend in Brooklyn told me she was in Peru. I told her that Manhattan was under water and she was in disbelief. She had been out in the wilds for several days and knew nothing.

Finally, Johnny, who lives in Port Jefferson at the end of Long Island across from Connecticut, got back to me late in the day. He said "the weather is fine now, massive tree smashing crazy time last night."

1 comment: