Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Experience That Portland Has

Caitlin,

I was reflecting today on Jeff Mapes and his "Pedaling Revolution" a book he wrote while reporting for the Oregonian newspaper.  Having visited Oregon, I have had the privilege to read his colleagues and consider their point view on numerous occasions.  I was thinking about bicycling and how my experience has largely missed out on the developments in Portland.  While having grown up in the Bay Area and participated in advocacy in Southern California it has always struck me that, being a CA native, even a brief visit will never likely provide me with the experience that Portland has to offer.

Iris told me last week that you have recently moved back there.  How is it?  Have you taken to the bike culture there?

I am back in SF now. Things are different here now.  I can hardly explain it.  Life in the perpetual boom town has very noticeably become much more dependent upon innovation and idea creation.  Even when people do get together for parties, I have noticed it is mostly to learn how to do their "thing" better.  Most of my friends live in the East Bay now as rent is so high.

Let me know what yer up to. I miss your regular emails from Central America.

Kevin 


This is series chronicles my life at regular intervals. This Memo series is meant to be a retrospective of what I have written and experienced. In each of these posts I use my notes in conjunction with memory, mementos and souvenirs to create a snap shot of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment