Friday, June 21, 2024

Inkwells

On September 4, 2023, I wrote that it was my fifth day with my boys camping in West Marin. We were staying in Samuel P. Taylor State Park, rounding out an eventful visit to the coast which included Point Reyes. The state park has two sites for cyclists. Campsite one is designated for hikers and cyclists but was full so we camped in site 62, which serves as an overflow site for cyclists.

We shared the site with a guy who left early that morning. The night before he and I had chatted until late. He was from the East Coast so I had to explain Critical Mass to him. We also discussed cycling in general. When I woke up that morning at 6:30, we made coffee and chatted until he left. I explained the route to the Golden Gate Bridge as he was leaving

I let the boys sleep and when they got up I gave them a couple treats. Then I directed them to self start and make an effort to pack. They stuffed sleeping bags while I set up carrots and apples. A bit later they worked on the tent. Unfortunately the steaks were so deep in the ground I had to ask a ranger to pull it up with a prybar. We decided it was likely an old stump underground.

I sent the boys out with a playmate nearby. I left a battery to charge at the handicapped bathroom and that made me nervous. I got to know the other campers all of whom were packing to go home. When I was done packing, I checked the site and I found the boys playing along the river. The boys needed to keep a bunch of bark for some reason.

After we said bye to everyone, including the boys new found friends from the campsite, we got back on the trail The Cross Marin Trail. I noted as I was riding and taking pictures that I really love this part of the ride and the views are quite phenomenal.

At the Inkwells swimming hole, I had trouble parking but eventually I parked on the trail down in the river. Then, after getting ready to jump in, I used my strategy of getting the boys into the deep pool by getting in and asking them to leave it to me. They both braved the pools and I even shuttled one boy across the pool twice. We left after two quick dips but I noted that there were a lot of kids leaping into the pools from high up. Everyone was visibly enjoying themselves.

When we left, I took the boys for hot cocoa and a yummy scone in Forest Knolls. Then we rode San Geronimo Road to White Hill, where the climb turned out alright despite the traffic. I rode Olema Road into Fairfax town and passed a bunch of people two or three times. We met a guy playing guitar at San Anselmo City Hall.

I discovered that we had to ride to Sausalito for the ferry which made me sad. However, it was best method home given the late departure of the Larkspur Ferry. I took Bike Route 22 through Bonaire. Then we took Route 5 to Horse Hill with no problems.

In Sausalito, I got the boys ice cream and we boarded the 5:15pm ferry. I had a beer on the boat when we got off, there were a lot of bikes. We went to Gott’s for fries.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment