Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Climb to Fairfax Falls

On August 31 I wrote that I left that morning for The Embarcadero with my boys to go camping in Marin. When we got to the Ferry Building, I had coffee and I got the boys some pastries. We were admittedly a little late for various reasons, and upon reflection I was a bit sad because we had to board the Sausalito Ferry instead of the one to Larkspur, which was closer to Samuel P. Taylor, our destination.

The ferry attendants were impressed with how we boarded. I thanked them but while the bike is not terribly large, the bags and human cargo make the bike a little bulky. I explained to them that I had done the trip enough times to know how to prepare.

During the trip across the bay, I re-packed the bike right before we rolled off the boat. I remember that I was so concerned with the timing of the trip that we rode directly down Bridgeway and continued onward to Horse Hill nonstop.

As the climb up that section of path tends to be tedious, the boys and I took a break there and we looked at the road cut. I had recently gone to Tiburon and Ring Mountain so explained how the rocks in the area sometimes contain garnet.

A short while later we were making our way through Central Corte Madera and continued on to Ross. We made a brief stop at the bank and I also made sure to stop at the consignment shop in San Anselmo – the owner is rather nice.

We made one more stop at Fairfax Market before braving the climb to Fairfax Falls. I noted that the climb to White Hill, always a major concern for me, turned out perfect. The boys got off twice at the top. I had to change the battery because my extra third battery had not been fully charged.

From the top of White Hill we flew down Drake Boulevard and headed out to Lagunitas where I got the boys snacks at the deli until the Indian restaurant opened. I got us a plate of chana masala and rice with naan. Then I bought some drinks and we headed to The Inkwells. Our late departure had foreclosed upon our swimming at Inkwells and that made me sad but I knew we were going to have a great trip.

At the campsite I got a tag at the kiosk. I’m met the Canadian and German guys camping there while the boys set up the tent. I made a small amount of ramen while chatting with one of the other campers. We had a beer and I wound down for the night.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment