Sunday, April 21, 2024

Soda Springs

On July 12, 2023, I wrote that I had stayed at a ski lodge in the high sierra the night before. I had done some laundry and enjoyed a quiet night before going to bed.

I woke at 8:30 and ate in the lodge’s mess hall. The cook an egg scramble and coffee with breakfast links. I chatted with the manager and packed a bit later. Eventually, I checked out and loaded up my bike.

The staff waved as I descended to the general store in Soda Springs. I had been there before a few times so was surprised that they had moved across the street. I got a couple cans of cold brew coffee, sunglasses and water.

When I was done shopping I rode my bike up to Serene Lakes to snap a picture of the house my sister-in-law rents every winter and send it to her family as a souvenir. Then I went over to Serene Creek outlet. I was really tired at that point from climbing such a big hill but on the other hand I was at 7000 feet.

Once I was rested enough, I descended into the American River on Soda Springs road. Only about three trucks passed me as I was riding. I stopped a few times but mostly to adjust the bike. There were big Cedars everywhere. I stopped at the snow station at Onion Creek.

At this point I noticed a lot of people coming in and going. There was even a pick up parked with a dog sleeping under it. I also noted that it was very obvious that people were living nearby in the census designated place of The Ceders but I had kind of known that beforehand. I was still surprised to discover that the place is populated in the summer by hundreds of people.

I had had an easy enough time riding up to this point and it was only three but I was dreading the climb ahead. I knew it was a traverse to The Cedars. When I got to Cedar Creek, I had to find a Crossing. I also asked the guy for water from his house. I almost forgot my hat.

I rode to the American River then and parked next to a barbecue pit at a makeshift amphitheater. When I got in the water, it was really cold. Then I crossed the river and was surprised to find a tennis court with a dedication to Warren Laurance

I had to fjord a creek then as it had somehow flooded the road – some lady was driving the other way. Then I climbed about 3 miles passing a bunch of locked gates along the way. I ended up passing a road that was marked not maintained.

After that I occasionally rested or walked because I had to climb about 750 feet to a saddle above Wabena creek. I got photos of Point Mariah, Serene Creek, and even Tinker Knob. I had started captioning my photos because I was not in a place with cell service.

I rode into Wabena creek then and found a campsite at the bottom of the valley where the roads meet and the main road continues to the Divide – where I was planning on going the next day. I used my water filter and made a bunch of water. Then I set up my campsite with a sleeping area for the night. I noted that the mosquitoes were horrible. However, the creek was nice.

I had started eating. It was around 830. My pen died.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment