Thursday, September 6, 2018

Our Trip to Folsom

On July 28 I wrote that the day before we slowly rose and worked on trying to get out of the apartment. My brain was all over and it was hard to focus. By 815 I was up. My friend had generated a pile. I had taken the bikes out and we consulted our list and the house was done at 10. I took the bags and equipment down and we quietly departed at 10:30 but had to stop twice for the trailer’s back wheel. We only made the ferry to Oakland because the boat was late. Once we boarded I knew we were on time for our trip to Folsom.

We got off the boat and stopped at bicycle coffee. I quietly waited in line and filled our tires. Then we headed off to the station. The train had been waiting for us and after we boarded and we were rolling away I quietly took several action “live“ photos. The ride to Sacramento was very successful and particularly noisy. Not many people spoke to us. When we asked, the conductor gave us too many transfer tickets and I noted that we were delayed at the Carquinez Strait.

At Davis we got ready and at Sacramento station we had an easy time. The trailer came off the train separate. I walked the bikes together. My friend waited for the Goldline, which we missed but we did catch the next one. The ride was OK and they needed to turn the train off a couple of times. The air-conditioners went silent. It was quiet time.

At Folsom we walked to the hotel and got unpacked. After that we made our way to the restaurant. The waitress sold me too many whiskeys. My older brother and sister showed up. We had already eaten but the they hadn’t so went to eat. My friend and I wound the room down and I went to see everyone else a short bit later.

When I headed back to the hotel an hour later, I learned that my niece was going to watch our room. So, my friend and I returned to the restaurant but my brother and sister’s families weren’t there there. However, my brother in-law-ran over and the three of us went to Sutter Bar. My sister showed a bit later. There were four of us because my older brother wasn’t able to come. Later we went to the place across the street.

The next morning there was a meal which arrived at 6:30 but we had already awoken to noise. Later we went for a walk and hung out with my sister until 10. My brother had to walk his poochy and in the meantime my brother-in-law found some extra bikes. While my friend and I walked on the quiet bike path along the American River my brother-in-law and nephew returned with them.

My brothers and I rode to Beals Point Campground then. Unfortunately, my brother-in-law had to go to the hotel to meet his dad. So, my brother and I rode through the back of a local junior high school and some subdivisions to the Granite Bay Horse Staging Area. We had an easy time until the ride back during which we ran out of energy due to the heat.

Everyone was at the pool when we got back. I saw my brother-in-law’s parents for just a moment. My brother went to his room. I cooled off by the pool but was still bonking. I went back to the room while everyone else discussed dinner.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment