Wednesday, August 6, 2014

I Took It Easy

I go on bike rides in Marin a lot because it has mountains and the bridge makes it easier for me than any other place.  Lately I have taken a special interest in the hills above Fairfax.  I have been trying to find a way over the Blue Ridge to San Geronimo Valley and was interested in doing so on a recent Sunday.  However, while I knew I could get there quickly, I also knew that going too fast would wear me out.

So, I took it easy and, rather than going all the way, decided to only try getting near the big hill.  I settled on a popular mountain biking location, Tamarancho, and set off around noon from the Sunset.  As I rode through the park, I passed the AIDS Walkathon at the Polo Fields and again near the waterfall.  Later I rode past the hospice to Ralston where I caught my breath from the climb.  Then I went to Bridge and made my way to Sausalito by Sausalito by 130.

While I did I think about staying in town I chose instead to visit the Kappas Marina.  I went first to Mike’s Bikes because my new seat, which I have really enjoyed, was giving me a lot of trouble.  Then I decided to have a bite to eat at the Bayside café.  I thought my garden burder was good.  As I read the paper, I found that the girl beside me had forgotten her glasses.  I gave them to her at the door.

I rode through Richardson Bay to Lomita and the freeway path.  I remember thinking as I streamed down the hill that it was a wonder I hadn’t hurt myself.  In Corte Madera I went a new way because I didn’t like the hill in the town center.  I followed Lakeside and then caught my breath on William.  I then rode through Larkspur, Ross and San Anselmo super-fast.  In Fairfax I picked my way to Rockridge Street and climbed to Tamarancho.  I got to the main trail in about 15 minutes.  I stood there reviewing the welcome board.

I called it quits then.  I could have continued and still made the boat but decided that it didn’t matter.  I didn’t have a pass anyway.  I made it to the town center fast and bought a water.  Then I went to San Anselmo where the main red light in town refused to change.  I climbed to San Rafael then and went through town on the main street.  I then jogged over to the Cal Park path and rode through the tunnel to the bridge over Sir Francis there at the Landing.  The boat was boarding but I wasn’t the last one on.  I was eating Chex when we departed.

I dumped the bike at Embarcadero and caught an N.  I got off at 9th and went to the Shamrock and had a couple of beers.  Then I went to Park Chow and had a César Salad.  I caught a 71 home.  Mason just sent a text message to say that he would go to the Dodgers game with me.


This is an occasional series chronicling my life. I started writing this Notebook Analysis on 071714.  This series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment