Wednesday, July 2, 2014

An Ominous Dislocation

As I am certain you already know, I been write a lot in general but I lately I have found that my notebook especially good for getting my mind straight.  Lately I have been writing to cope with a big letdown and this in turn has caused me to assess how much I can reveal about my struggles to those around me.  Of course I have failed in my recovery at times but I have begun to draw comfort from the prospect of how reaching out may mean getting my hand slapped.

I have noted an ominous dislocation in the back of my mind through all of this.  Probing it I have begun to notice that this dislocation comes from the realization that certain things I had always just assumed were there have moved or were never there in the first place.  However, it would seem that this is simply an illusion since my concept is only one person’s.

I have read a lot of Science Fiction in my life and have begun to see how the metaphors these story arcs make relate to this dislocation.  Take for example time travel about which I have read plenty.  One of my favorite of these is PK Dick’s A Little Something For Us Tempunauts.  I like the piece because it proposes the time loop as a phenomenon nearly impossible to understand by anyone except the person to which it happens.

The metaphor, as I see it, is that history and the past change because of the way that they relate to epistemology.  For instance, we experience life as a stream and accrue ideas and concepts from without.  As the stream changes, we change and so does our concept of reality.  This metaphor carries over nicely to what I have been terming dislocation.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. I started writing this Notebook Analysis on 060414.  This series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment