Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Cavalier Attitude

I worked out a number of tables in my thesis and note that sometimes my blog titles are indicative of much more than their content. I write often but struggle to remember what I have been doing. However, I think that the real struggle concerns how to record my thoughts so that I can come back to them later.

I have been learning how to transfer rewrite my notebook entries. I would do marathon rewrites and most of the edits are inconclusive. I also start to recognize how important it is to be consistent when I write. It has focused my mind on how I don’t have a lot of time to do this sort of thing. For instance, I have discovered that phrasing is especially important. Also, it can be really hard to rewrite original material when it is written about a specific thing or in a specific medium.

In general, I am happy with my output even if I am critical of how things with specific people turn out. Sometimes I know that it is much better to be light with one’s words to avoid ruining things. For instance, it seems that a manager’s desperation can breed a cavalier attitude in the employees they favor. I have also found that the food at work (doughnuts and take-out) is super bad for me. I have found that when the job isn’t going well I know that I just need to stick it out. I remember wondering to myself without the slightest hint of irony how this experience might be useful in the future.

This is Spider. Somehow when I took this photo I knew she would pass away very soon.

This is a regular series chronicling my life at regular intervals. This Memo series is meant to be a retrospective of what I have written and experienced. In each of these posts I use my notes in conjunction with memory, mementos and souvenirs to create a snap shot of my life. I wrote this on the 26th of May and posted it to the blog on June 13th.

No comments:

Post a Comment