Wednesday, August 2, 2023

The Yuba Canyon

On June 30 I wrote that the night before I didn’t go to bed until one in the morning and lay there until three. I was ready to go on my Tahoe vacation bike adventure as best I knew.

I woke up at 630 but got up at seven. I was in no position to get up but managed. I was planning on renting a bike when I got to Truckee but I still had my panniers, for which I had to rig a second bag. I watered the plants and grabbed a coffee cup. I took a 14 to Salesforce Tower and then the Amtrak bus to Emeryville. The train left on time and I got photos until Mount Diablo. I sent family messages.

The lodge I was planning to stay at on my fourth night, The Claire Tappan in Norden, called to say my reservation at the High Sierra Bradley hut was secure. I noted that the train was waiting at Davis when I wrote this. My family was sending me messages on their plans for the week. My niece was in Lake Almanor and my younger sister had to cancel plans for her own trip to Tahoe to see friends.

Between 11 and 4 o’clock I mostly just sat in the café car. Around Sacramento I switched to another seat. Some girl was sitting across from me at Davis so it was hard to photograph stuff but when she left I moved to the other side and got a picture of the Tower Bridge and the Blue Diamond factory

From Sacramento to Auburn I met a few people. I sat across from a guy from the Isle of Man. He confirmed that yes his island was the model for the island of Sodor from the Thomas & Friends franchise and as they walked away I noted that the kids were dressed up in Thomas the Tank Engine outfits. Some lady from New Hampshire sat across from me. She told me she was a cyclist. We enjoyed the train slowly rolling through the Yuba Canyon.

I had cup of coffee and after the summit I got pictures of Tinker Knob before packing and getting off the train. I walked to my hostel and checked in. Then I picked up some iodine tablets and a headlamp at the sport shop before going to the Alibi, a taproom, for dinner.
 
This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment