Thursday, August 31, 2023

Donner State Park

On July 4, 2022, I wrote that I went to bed pretty quickly after writing and woke at 5:30 feeling mostly rested. I woke again at eight and went down to eat an egg sandwich on a croissant with ham and cheese. I spoke to some hikers and ate a cinnamon roll. I returned to my room and packed with trips around the building to get stuff as needed.

I eventually brought all of my stuff outside and got the bike. I said bye to the hosts and then peddled to the railroad grade tweeting and communicating with family along the way. I was planning on travelling to Truckee via the abandoned rail road tunnels and I knew it would take a while. 

I tweeted the tunnel portal and then realized I didn’t know the tunnels names so I sat and figured that out. I realized I was between tunnels six and seven around then. Later I took photos of eight and nine.  I decided to just call the last sections the "final tunnel" because I wasn’t certain if "ten" was the proper name.

I rode through the Donner State Park and discovered that Sout Shore Dr. deadends at the campground.   While taking photos of the lake there I realized that I really wanted to get a reservation there for summer of 2023.  When I was finished in the campgrounds, I got lost in the gravel dumps and crossed a fence.  I saw a family on bikes on my way to Deerfield in the actual town of Truckee. I rode past Sierra College and into town.

Once I arrived in town, I checked in at the Truckee hotel and settled myself.  From there I went to Bike Truckee and dropped off my rental bike. Then, because I had ripped my pants on the crest, I went shopping for a new pair next to my inn and had a coffee before I started writing.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment