Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Our Bike Ride

On May 12 I wrote that when I got home the night before my friend was up getting the picnic ready. I had stuff to do so was asleep at one in the morning. I had trouble sleeping at first but was a relieved when, at 6:30, everything was under control. I got out of bed and got ready for our bike ride. I got panniers out and found a long sleeve shirt and pants. I ate in the kitchen and had coffee.

It took too long to get ready because I didn’t have much of an idea what I was doing. I put the bikes out early but should have brought equipment out too. Eventually we quietly got ready and assembled our things outside. I got the bikes parked and she noisily sat waiting. Fortunately, we were in great spirits. Our companions we’re waiting for us at the corner and we all rode market together.

I rode through the farmers market ahead of everyone and we found our other companions. There were about seven of us then. We all tagged in for the ferry and waited a short bit before boarding. I brought my bike down and noisily asked halfway for help before I brought my bike. Later we all sat at a mid deck table together and I quietly took some photos.

When we got off the boat we ended up on the waterfront at the pier. We rode through the bus stop to Cibo for coffee. I saw an acquaintance who had just dropped her daughter off. We drank coffee discussing my birthday. Then we rode through Sausalito and found our way to my preferred path near Bridgeway. We used sidewalks for a little bit until Mike’s Bikes. We had some problems with noise there but continued. I got way ahead at the Richardson Bay Bridge so hung back. One of the group quietly led us to the picnic spot there.

I had it been having weight problems so when we stopped I took my bags apart and found the fruit had leaked. My friend fixed it then and I took some time to myself. A couple of us then quietly explored the field – the fog was rolling over Mount Tam on account of the wind. Eventually my friend traded with me and I ate a sandwich. I also drank some wine. One person took a nap. My friend had made cake and I ate it with the fruit.

I noted that I didn’t really remember what everyone else did but we had pickle sandwiches and bree and fruit. I had some candies that tasted great. We packed up and rode to Horsehill. One of our number tried to beat the climb so worked to get ahead but she had to walk anyway. A couple of us waited for a bit at the top of the hill.

I took the group through a park to find an easy route to the bike path in Corte Madera. Then I showed the station. No one cared enough for us to stay too long. Later I suggested taking a break and as we were climbing the hill near Bel Air we stopped near a park. It was a good quiet fun spot. I took a short walk by myself to get some air. Everyone was in good spirits but tired.

We got to the ferry half an hour early. I quietly rode around the lot and a little while later we boarded. The stewardess had problems with how the bikes were stored but I managed. Someone bought me a drink and I sat with her. I told them I should go to Sacramento bike party. We took pictures and had fun.

I got the bikes ready and my friend and I rode to the ferry building grounds. We said bye to the some of our companions before riding up Market. When we got to the apartment I brought the bikes up. My friend made us a meal and had me blow out a candle for my birthday.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment