Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Walking the Bay

I recently found a blog written by a woman named Corinne called Walking the Bay.  One of her posts had a couple of photos of the Corte Madera POC of the 101.  This blew me away because I always thought that I am writing about this in a vacuum.  I told Debra that I had been looking for photos of Mount Tam one day and happened upon her post.  I went on to say that I had been putting a lot of my free time into showcasing public pedestrian infrastructure around the 101 freeway and asked her to read mine.  I told her that I was looking to discover new angles and ideas.

Debra replied that she thought that I was on to something and that she enjoyed sharing information about what she had noticed during her walks around the Bay. She said that walking and bicycling provides a unique perspective with interesting views and access issues which our our car-centered world can reveal.  She said that she hadn’t counted how many POCs I've come across in my 1,000+ miles of Bay Trail walking, but there “are quite a few -- some wonderful, some fascinating in an odd sort of way, and some pretty sketchy.”

She went on to say that she had “also photographed the underside of some highway overcrossings (pedestrian undercrossings) and there is something strangely cathedral-like to some of these.

She also told me that she was interested in mapping “of different kinds, occasionally more whimsical versions of maps. E.g., today I led a group on a Chocolate Walk through Dogpatch/Potrero Hill area of San Francisco. (We took 20th St. overpass from Dogpatch to Potrero Hill.) I wanted to include a "Chocolate Map," in my hand-out to the group, but didn't have time.”

She pointed out that she had another blog called Chocolate Banquet.

No comments:

Post a Comment