Monday, September 30, 2024

The Men’s Dorm

On February 8 I wrote that I had traveled to Donner Pass to the Clair Tappaan in anticipation of skiing with my kids. The night before I had had trouble sleeping because it was so cold and I had yet to acclimatize.

I got up at 7:30 am and had coffee in the dining hall. I sat with some the other six guests at the lodge. The chef had made us eggs and bangers with pancakes.

When we were done, I got ready to go and hitched a ride to Sugarbowl ski resort’s gondola and headed over to the Judah ticket office to skis and a ticket. They had trouble finding my reservation so I went to the ski school to learn more.

After that I got on the Judah Lift. I went to Mount Lincoln and Crows Nest after that. At Crows, I lost a ski and hurt my arm. I got coffee and rested at the lodge. I texted with a friend about it.

Later, as the resort wound down, I did another few runs and quit. I went to the bar and then hitched my way back to the lodge.

As soon as I arrived, I made arrangements with Hotel management to switch to the men’s dorm because it was warmer there. Then I sat down for a chicken sandwich with the rest of the hotel guests. I noted that the group is generally pretty gregarious and friendly.

This is an occasional series chronicling my life. This Notebook Analysis series is meant to be contemporaneous piece developed as an agglomeration of my notebook pages. In each of these posts I used my notes to develop my recent thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment